Before telling good bye to 2017. I want to put this request for your first Tech Job. Thirteen years back I was looking for my first job. My name is Vikram Shetty and I have a Masters of Science (Information technology) degree with me. In 2004 I was looking for my job to become a Microsoft Dot Net programmer. I was an average programmer but I found my interest in programming. The epiphany hit me when I discovered C# Web service can talk to a web page using XML. It was as simple as creating it in 5 minutes. The Information Technology was recovering back after 2001 slow down. There wasn’t much job in the market and one of the option was campus placement, which I never came across. The other option was a job as a Tech Support (its like a Call Center). Every job has its own merits but I did not got selected in any one of those, I consider it as blessing in disguise. Information Technology industry has changed over a decade now, but young girls and boys are searching job as if it is 2005, even the format of the resume has not changed 🙂
In today’s market you if you are not getting job from normal channel. You should hack your way into the office, if you are passionate about programming or find it interesting.
#3 Crazy Hacks, you wouldn’t dare to do if you are not passionate
- Find a startup you like and offer them to work for FREE. This is actually not risky if you are at home for last two months, what is stopping you from working and adding experience. If you are don’t have money for travel and lunch here is how you can earn for it. Watch this video, in India you can use OLX or Quikr
- Stop searching job the main job portals. Try other avenues like LinkedIn, Interview Fox, or AngleList with recent programming language like NodeJs, Ruby or Go
- Look for a remote job, It is 2018 and the world is your playground and you can work from anywhere with Laptop + internet. Remote Work
After this article was viewed by 45 people over 7 countries. Few of my friends suggested more hacks. Thank you Kritul, Piyush and Maunish. I am listing it down with my 0.2 cent to it.
#3 BONUS Hacks
- Meetup to collaborate with other developer and search for job. My 0.2 cent is find a meetup of Startup and Investor meet. Entrepreneur will go for funds there, if you can observe and find the one who are positive about getting funds ask them for job.
- https://github.com/ for participating in open source project to put it in your resume and https://stackoverflow.com/ to show your technical skills and gain points on your profile thus updating it in your resume. Your real work will be out in public. My 0.2 cent is find the people who have great work already and ask them for a job.
- Product Hunt to find tech product (India), search a cool company and connect to the founder or contact us on there website. They often have few incoming emails so the possibility of reading your resume is high.
Hope this rant helps at least one person who reads this. Best of Luck!